1 zucchini, cut into small cubes
1 medium eggplant, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon pine nuts
½ cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, cut into very fine cubes
1 tablespoon capers
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 well ripened tomatoes, cut into
small cubes and drained
Pepper and salt
1. Place the cut-up zucchini and eggplant on paper towels. Salt well and leave for about 10 minutes to reduce moisture. Dry with paper towels.
2. Roast the pine nuts in a dry pan, just until they begin to brown and become fragrant. Stir and watch carefully. Remove from pan as soon as lightly browned.
3. Heat a pan with the olive oil and cook the garlic and onions for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and eggplant. Mix in the pine nuts, capers, sugar and vinegar.
4. Bring to a boil and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Vegetables should be tender but retain their shape and color.
5. Mix the tomato into this mixture and season with fresh pepper and salt.
Makes 4 appetizer portions. Also good over polenta or pasta.
Service and presentation:
Take a lightly warm large bowl and mix the dish with two spoons. Arrange it on a plate and finish with some olive oil. This dish can be served as a cold antipasto. Be sure remove from the refrigerator at least one hour before serving.